Kanpur: A major fire broke out in a foam mattress manufacturing unit in Devki Nagar under the limits of Naubasta police station on Wednesday. Panic prevailed in the area and the people of the area initmattress manufacturing unitially tried to douse the fire, but in vain.
Subsequently, they alerted the Fire Control room and police. On receiving information, about eight fire tenders were requisitioned to the site. The fire was brought under control after several hours of effort. The police said that the unit belongs to one Shanu, a resident of Babu Purwa. Preliminary investigations stated that the fire broke out due to a short circuit in the rooftop tower on Wednesday morning. Labourers working there ran outside and tried to douse the fire with the help of the local people. But soon the fire engulfed a major portion of the building. Three cars and two motorcycles parked below were also gutted.
Goods worth lakhs were destroyed by the fire. DCP South Sanjeev Tyagi said that whether the factory operating in a residential area was violating norms, it will be investigated. “Also, we will see whether the unit was equipped with extinguishing measures or not. This has also been included in the investigation. Action will be taken after investigation,” said DCP further.