Brothers Of Former Cong Corporator Held For ’84 Riots | Kanpur News

Kanpur: Yogesh Sharma (60) and Bharat Sharma (55), two brothers of a former Congress corporator Manish Sharma who are accused of 1984 Sikh riots have been arrested by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) from Kanpur on Wednesday night.
Both were allegedly involved in a massacre that happened during the violence in Dabhauli area of the city in the aftermath of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi’s assassination in 1984.
They have been accused of burning alive seven members of a Sikh family. In this massacre, Visakh Singh, his wife Saran Kaur, daughter Gurvachan Kaur, besides four sons Jogender Singh, Gurcharan Singh, Chhatrapal Singh and Gurmukh Singh were killed. Two family members, however, had survived the attack. On their complaint, the police had registered an FIR.
Corporator Manish Sharma had won 2006 and 2012 civic polls on Congress party ticket.
With this, SIT has so far arrested 15 accused. On July 5, two men accused of attacking Namdev Gurudwara were arrested. Earlier, on June 15, four accused in the Nirala Nagar massacre Yogendra Singh, Vijay Narayan Singh, Shafiullah and Abdul Rehman, were arrested by the SIT from Ghatampur.
The biggest catch, Raghavendra Kushwaha, nephew of Shivnath Singh Kushwaha, who was a minister of state in the Congress government, is yet to be arrested.
Similarly, on June 22 night, the SIT raided three different places in Kidwainagar and arrested five people.
Likewise, two accused of Nirala Nagar massacre were arrested in a raid conducted in the Ghatampur area of the district late on June 21 night.
The SIT has completed the investigation of 11 cases, in which 96 accused have been identified. Of these, 22 have died. A total of 74 accused are to be arrested, out of which 15 have been arrested and sent to jail.
The police are zeroing in on remaining accused to send them behind the bars.
Former Congress corporator Manish Sharma, however, said, “My brother Bharat Sharma was 17 years old while my elder brother Yogesh was 22 years of age in 1984. Both my brothers were immature at that point of time and could not commit such a heinous crime. Don’t know who gave their names to the police.”
SIT in-charge and DIG Balendu Bhushan Singh said, “The arrest proceedings will continue. Every accused who was involved in the violence will be arrested and sent to jail.”

Source link

Leave a Reply