Air India’s 470 aircrafts deal: Airbus will deliver the first A350 plane to Air India by the end of 2023, Airbus India head Remi Maillard informed on Tuesday, hours after the airlines announced the deal. Remi Maillard further said that Air India ordering 40 A350 aircraft also marks Airbus’ ’emphatic return’ to the wide-body market in India. Air India on Tuesday announced to acquire 250 and 220 aircrafts from Airbus and Boeing respectively. Deals to acquire 470 planes from both the companies is estimated to be worth USD 80 billion, sources said.
- Air India signed the Letters of Intent to acquire modern fleet/aircraft. The order comprises 40 Airbus A350s, 20 Boeing 787s and 10 Boeing 777-9s widebody aircraft, as well as 210 Airbus A320/321 Neos and 190 Boeing 737 MAX single-aisle aircraft.
- The A350 aircraft will be powered by Rolls-Royce engines, and the B777/787s by engines from GE Aerospace. All single-aisle aircraft will be powered by engines from CFM International, the airline said.
- Speaking after airline’s historic deals with Airbus and Boeing, Air India chief Campbell Wilson said, “In the meantime, our capacity growth will continue to be supported by the previously announced lease-in of additional narrow-body and wide-body aircraft and the restoration-to-service of the remainder of our grounded fleet.”
- “These give us the option, but not the obligation, to take additional aircraft at already-negotiated production slots and/or prices so that we can nimbly accommodate further growth and manage risk,” he said.
- “Besides this deal being of unprecedented size, it was also incredibly complex, with two airframers and six engine suppliers all jostling for position,” the Air India chief said.
- “When finalised, this will be the largest Boeing order in South Asia and a historic milestone in the aerospace company’s nearly 90-year partnership with the carrier,” he added.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi dailed US President Joe Biden after Air India’s historic deal of 220 aircrafts with Boeing.
- Glad to speak with @POTUS @JoeBiden. Excellent discussion to review the ongoing and new initiatives to further deepen India-US Comprehensive and Global Partnership. We welcome the landmark @airindiain – @Boeing agreement which will help create new opportunities in both countries, the Prime Minister tweeted.
- US President Joe Biden also hailed the “historic agreement” for Air India to purchase 220 Boeing BA.N airplanes with a list price of $34 billion.
- This announcement also reflects the strength of US-India economic partnership. Together with PM Modi, I look forward to deepening our partnership even further as we continue to confront shared global challenges—creating a more secure & prosperous future for all, the White House said.
ALSO READ | In major boost to Aviation sector, Air India to acquire 250 aircrafts from Airbus
ALSO READ | After Airbus, Air India to purchase 220 aircrafts from Boeing; Joe Biden hails ‘historic agreement’